Communications Specialist I (Closed)
Communications Specialist I
Program: Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD)
Salary: up to $58.0K annual depending on experience.
Under general supervision of the Communications Director, this position is responsible for implementing the technical and administrative functions of the Communications Department identified in established standard operating procedures and workflows to generate reports and presentations about the Bond funded construction program. This is a key role which requires the ability to: communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; work with a wide variety of professional and administrative staff; work on multiple inter-related tasks with concurrent and differing deadlines; and use good judgment with a high standard of personal ethics. The position requires all assignments to be completed on time and with great attention to detail.
• Implement standard operating procedures, workflows, and programs of the Communications Department to provide information about the Bond program to the Board of Trustees and other interested parties.
• Contribute to the collaborative success of the Bond program.
• Assist with conducting meetings with the client, Regional Program Liaisons, and other high level positions to gather information and identify needs critical to the development of effective communications.
• As part of a team, provide technical and administrative functions for the Proposed Board Action (PBA) process and the production of reports from the Facilities Planning and Development department to the Board of Trustees regarding Bond program matters as well as for needs of the Communications Department in general.
• Develops, distributes, and presents standard operating procedures, workflows, instructions, policy manuals, guidelines, and updates regarding the Proposed Board Action (PBA) process and the production of the FPD Board reports as needed.
• Reviews PBA’s and Board report work in-progress and at completion for completeness and adherence to standard operating procedures and workflows. Trains and assists all Program staff regarding preparation of proper and correct PBA’s.
• Works with the Communications Director and Communications Manager to develop PowerPoint presentations about the status of the Bond program and current and upcoming opportunities for vendors to become involved with the Bond program.
• Establishes and maintains positive work relationships and open communication with staff located at the Program Management Office, the colleges, and the District.
• Develops and maintains strong familiarity with the built environment of each college campus and their construction projects.
• Schedules, organizes, attends and participates in the College Project Team Roundtable meetings.
• Receives and processes final Board approved PBAs, assigns contract numbers, and routes to appropriate departments for processing.
• Reviews documents prior to archival scanning for accuracy and completeness. Works with archivists to ensure files are correctly maintained.
• May attend Board of Trustees Meetings and subcommittee meetings on occasion.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
• Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments.
• Strong familiarity with Microsoft Office and other popular business computer programs.
• 2 years experience working on a public works program in a reporting capacity.
• Ability to exercise judgment and discretion and to set priorities and manage competing demands.
• Demonstrate a reliable, responsive and positive work ethic with the highest degree of integrity.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, public policy, urban planning, or a related field.
• Experience in construction public works projects.
RESUME SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Deadline to submit resume: Thursday August 21, 2014 @ 4:00pm
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Communications Specialist I