Senior Estimator (Closed)
Assignment: Los Angeles World Airports / Airside Element
Salary: $121.4K to $151.8K annual salary depending upon experience
Essential Job Duties
• Provide estimating support for Airfield Element during planning, design and construction.
• Prepare and/or review final Engineer’s estimate including factors such as Phasing, Airport Operations, Shift, Resources, Time Constraints and Badging impacts
• Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and ask questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers
• Actively reconcile the internal estimates with those prepared by third-parties; engage the third- party entities in an informative, collaborative reconciliation; and communicate the results of the reconciliation effort
• Prepare and review material take-offs from planning documents or engineering drawings
• Prepare detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems
• Prepare estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees.
• Accumulate, evaluate and document historical cost data for the development of future estimates
• Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes
• Assist and/or lead in Change Order negotiations including:
• Review Contractor Potential Change Order Claims for Merit and negotiate to final resolution. Review the proposal and assist with the determination of merit
• Conduct Weekly Estimate Review Meetings of Contractor Potential Change Notices and prepare Meeting Minutes
• Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it includes the appropriate scope
• Review the labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract specifications, and LAWA approved rates.
• Become thoroughly familiar with required contractual obligations, technical aspects of all construction work including Allowances, Bid Line Items and new scope of work.
• Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.
• Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits
• Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means for other pricing references
• Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references using contract blue book and or Cal Trans Rates
• Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used and that any mark- up caps are not exceeded
• Discuss the LAWA position after the contractor established their position. Share the basis of the LAWA position to ensure fair and reasonable understanding
• Seek to find points of agreement early in the discussion and document the agreements
• Determine points of disagreement and path to resolution. Adopt a reasonable, but contractual attitude
• Develop the record of negotiation documentation
• Proactively establish a routine reporting cycle that clearly communicates when an estimate changes and why
• Provide coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development
• Train subordinate estimating personnel when necessary
• Contribute to the advancement of ADG’s goals through commitment to productive collaboration with all stakeholders
• Prepare required reports and correspondence
• Utilize Prolog to update estimates, house estimates and project transactions
• Ensure effective implementation of all policies and procedures, including labor relations policies
• Contribute to the advancement of PDG’s goals through commitment to productive collaboration with all stakeholders
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Proficient with large-scale estimating software
• Experience with Adobe Acrobat Professional
• Knowledge of Prolog and other Project Management Systems is preferred.
• Experience with On-screen Take-off and MC2 is highly desirable
• Demonstrated proficiency estimating formats, including Uniformat II
• Proficient with industry estimating databases and other estimating data sources, e.g. RS Means, Richardsons, etc
Professional Experience Level/Other Qualifications
• Ten years of general estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects is required
• Demonstrates a proactive, firm and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing
• Preferred civil flat work experience – airports and road construction. Airport civil airfield work on runway, taxiway, apron and associated utilities.
• Demonstrated experience with complex estimate reconciliations and change order negotiations
• Demonstrated experience in getting independent estimates from vendors/contractors as check estimates against contractor proposal estimated costs and negotiations
• Comprehensive knowledge of construction-related processes, as well as a thorough knowledge of industry practicesProved accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment
• Establish a personable, but contractual stance with the contractor
• Self-starter attitude with proved results-oriented focus
• Demonstrated success on the job, as evidenced by satisfactory performance, acceptance of responsibility and growth in previous position
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Must possess the ability to effectively interact with various departments to maintain open lines of communication.
• Comfortable operating in a team-oriented, collaborative work environment
• Produce accurate and timely results while maintaining a customer service attitude
• Must be detail oriented and highly organized
• Demonstrated experience working on multiple projects at the same time
• Experience working with outside agencies i.e. FAA, General Services division, LADBS, LADWP, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is preferred
• May assume other duties as required/needed
• May work overtime
• Maybe required to work various shifts as needed
RESUME SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Deadline to submit resume: Tuesday November 28, 2017 @ 12:00 noon (no exceptions for late submissions)
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: LAWA Senior Estimator
Recruitment # PC0582
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com