Senior Estimator (Closed)
Assignment: Los Angeles World Airports / Program & Project Management Support Services
Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) Automated People Mover (APM)
Salary: $135.2K to $156.0K annual salary depending upon experience
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Estimator reports to the Automated People Mover (APM) Project Control Manager. The successful candidate will help develop cost estimate from conceptual through construction; monitoring and reconcile the cost estimate as the design progresses; participate in pre-award value engineering and constructability review discussions; and once the contract is awarded, will review change order proposals, develop a fair and reasonable recommendation, participate in negotiation of changes with the contractor, and prepare the record of negotiation documentation.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The Estimator’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop conceptual cost estimates from preliminary planning documents, price alternatives and options, and offer opinions of probable cost for different phasing scenarios that may be discussed.
• Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers.
• Actively reconcile the internal estimates with those prepared by third-parties; engage the third-party entities in an informative, collaborative reconciliation; and communicate the results of the reconciliation effort.
• Proactively establish a routine reporting cycle that clearly communicates when an estimate changes and why.
• Prepares and reviews material take offs from planning documents or engineering drawings. Prepares conceptual and comparative cost study estimates from preliminary sketches. Prepares detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems. Prepares estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees. Accumulates, evaluates and documents historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
• Prepares and / or reviews final Engineer’s estimate. Reviews contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes.
• Provides coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development. Trains subordinate estimating personnel when necessary.
• Participate in the negotiation meeting with the contractor and:
1) Discuss the LAWA position after the contractor establishes their position. Share the basis of the LAWA position to ensure a fair and reasonable understanding;
2) Seek to find points of agreement early in the discussion and document the agreements;
3) Determine points of disagreement and path to resolution. Adopt a reasonable, but contractual attitude;
4) Develop the record of negotiation documentation.
• Support the change management process for the LAWA Airports Development Group projects that are underway or being planned. Review change order proposals and:
1) Review the proposal and assist with the determination of merit;
2) Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it includes appropriate scope;
3) Review the labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract specifications;
4) Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.;
5) Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits;
6) Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means or other pricing references;
7) Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references;
8) 8)Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used and that any mark-up caps are not exceeded.
• Thorough familiarity with MS office suite software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Knowledgeable of presenting graphical data as related to estimating.
• Knowledge of work with various types of contracting methods such as, Design/Bid/Build (DBB), Design Build (DB), Construction Management At Risk (CMAR), Guarantee Maximum Price (GPM), etc.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE LEVEL/OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
• 10- to 15-years estimating experience with 5- to 10-years in direct support of an active construction projects and with experience with Light Rail and/or People Mover systems.
• Demonstrates a proactive, firm and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing
• Demonstrated proficiency estimating formats, including Uniformat II
• Proficient with industry estimating databases and other estimating data sources, e.g. RS Means, Richardsons, etc.
• Proved accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Proficient with large-scale estimating software
• Experience with On-screen Take-Off and MC2
• Five years minimum of civil and underground utility estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects is required
• Experience with Adobe Acrobat is required.
• Demonstrate experience with estimating presentation to upper management.
RESUME SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Deadline to submit resume: Thursday January 26, 2017 @ 3:00pm
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: LAWA Senior Estimator
At a minimum submitted resume must include detailed employment history with:
1) Name & Location of company or government agency
2) Start Date and End Date (Month & Year)
3) Positions Held
4) List of Projects/Programs Managed including:
a) project value $$
b) location of assignment
c) roles and responsibilities
d) contribution to each project
Paragon Engineering & Management, is a Certified Small Business (DBE, SBE, MBE/WBE), specializing in program, project, and construction management services for large public agency construction programs. Website: www.paragon-em.com
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com