Signage Project Manager (Closed)
SIGNAGE PROJECT MANAGER
Program: Los Angeles County Metro Art and Design Program
Expected hours: 24-40 hours a week until June 30, 2018
Wages: $57.00 per hour
Metro is seeking an experienced signage Project Manager to provide comprehensive reviews and comments to all signage related General Contractor and Design Builder project submittals. Work tasks entail project oversight, tracking, scheduling, coordination with multiple departments and project teams, and reporting on signage and wayfinding projects from design development, construction drawings and specifications, environmentally sustainable materials and mock-up evaluations, fabrication shop drawings, installation, and punch listing through final resolution.
Signage and wayfinding job tasks encompass a variety of sign types, including identifiers, safety, and regulatory & code compliance signage at rail and bus stations, bike hubs, customer centers, parking structures, operation and maintenance facilities, and other Metro property across the rapidly expanding Metro transit system.
The selected candidate will work closely with the in-house signage and environmental graphic design team in Metro’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as an independent contractor.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Provides highly-detailed signage reviews and comments for all phases of construction documents for major capital projects and other complex construction projects.
• Interfaces with multiple internal clients and outside vendors to schedule and track signage jobs, coordinate delivery and installation instructions, and assure that the final signage components meet Metro Signage Standards, uniform brand identity standards, industry field standards, and sustainable principles.
• Manages and oversees tracking and reporting of signage and environmental graphic design projects from initial job brief through project completion.
• Facilitates signage tracking and reporting meetings (weekly or as required) with Metro core team and senior management to identify project requirements, to evaluate team concerns, to manage General Contractor and/or Design Builder expectations, to monitor adherence to project plans, and to ensure signage compliance with Metro standards.
• Researches vendors and industry literature for state of the art environmentally sustainable materials, finishes, and construction feasibility, and maintains expertise with technological developments.
• Supports signage/wayfinding and placemaking design efforts related to sustainability for capital projects, infrastructure, energy efficiency, resource management, and implementation.
• Writes scopes of work and contract document specifications, manages vendor contracts, and coordinates with procurement staff as necessary to secure specialty vendor contracts.
• Reviews cost estimates, quotes, and invoices, and supports creation of check requests, purchase orders, and necessary documentation.
• Documents, surveys, and prepares visual audits across the transit system (rail and bus stations, divisions, parking structures, and facilities).
• Creates installation guidelines for signage components and advises core team to determine optimal placement and attachments.
• Reviews, tracks, and provides technical guidance to signage fabrication shop drawings and sustainable material and finishes specifications to ensure conformance to Metro Signage Standards Set.
• Inspects completed signage installations at stations, divisions, facilities, and Metro property, and generates detailed ‘punch lists’ to industry standards.
• Recommends signage updates for inclusion into the Metro Signage Standards.
• Facilitates and builds communications between multiple departments & stakeholders (design, engineering, safety, operations, facilities/maintenance, environmental sustainability, accessibility, etc.) to ensure compliance and implementation of Metro Signage Standards and promotion of branding elements.
• Organizes and maintains master project filing system with signage materials, samples, and other pertinent records.
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible professional experience including two (2) years of supervisory experience with focus in the in the fields of transportation, environmental graphic and signage design, architecture, construction, or related field.
• Substantive, demonstrable knowledge of transportation signage standards, guidelines, regulatory codes, ADA standards, project tracking methodologies, current transportation industry concerns, and environmentally sustainable practices.
• Strong knowledge and ability to comprehend architectural construction drawings, specifications, shop drawings, attachment details, and permanent materials and finishes commonly used as best practices by the environmental signage industry.
• Working knowledge of Word, Excel, Entourage/Outlook, FileMaker Pro, and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
• Services will be provided as an independent contractor and do not include employee benefits.
• Independent contractor’s schedule of work may vary between 24 to 40 hours per week based on project schedules. Meetings and presentations are typically held at Metro Headquarters building in downtown LA.
• Visits to Metro transit project job sites is required. Contractor will be provided with Metro badges, allowing for job related transportation in the Metro transit system.
• Rail safety course and basic safety equipment (hard hat, vest, etc.) will be provided by Metro; safety shoes will be required and are to be furnished by independent contractor.
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
• Start ASAP. Independent contractor shall complete work by June 30, 2018, or as extended by Metro as provided in the contract.
• Funding for this contract is based upon availability of funds as determined by Metro’s fiscal budget.
RESUME SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Deadline to submit resume: Thursday June 29, 2017 @ 3:00 p.m.
Please email cover letter, resume to: hr@paragon‐em.com
Subject line: Metro Signage Project Manager
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org